Single Malt Whiskey
Lough Gill Distillery is a Single Malt Whiskey Distillery built in the grounds of the historic Hazelwood House. Hazelwood House itself was built in 1722 by the architect Richard Cassels for the Wynne family who resided there for two centuries. Cassels went on to build Leinster House, Russborough House, Powerscourt House, Carton House, Westport House among many, many more. In 1969 Snia built the largest building in the West of Ireland in the gardens of Hazelwood House and it is here the distillery lies. It uses state of the art pot stills built by Frilli in Sienna, Italy to produce 1m litres of pure alcohol per annum, equating to nearly 3m bottles of ultra-premium single malt whiskey. This whiskey is matured for up to 20 years in 6 acres of warehousing, before being bottled under the brand Athrú, the Gaelic word for transformation. See www.athru.com for more information.